Are Productivity and Efficiency the Same Thing?
We often use productivity and efficiency interchangeably. But, let me be clear – it’s FAR from the same.
Efficiency refers to the tools, resources, and hacks used to complete projects.
Productivity, on the other hand, is the quantity of projects completed.
The question then begs: Can you be productive without being efficient? Sure, you certainly can. But why would you make yourself work harder when you can work smarter?
Before being productive, I believe it’s so much more important to be efficient. Productivity will come automatically afterwards, as long as you keep learning to work smarter, not harder.
Here are 3 things you can do today to be Efficient and become a Productivity monster:
- Block out times where you focus only on 1 task. Don’t look at your email, chats, or phone. Stay focused finishing the task for 30 mins to an hour, at least.
- Take scheduled breaks! A coffee, tea, coffee, and lunch break are crucial to keeping your mind fresh and efficient throughout the day.
- Stay organized with lists. When you start your day, are you clear on your high priority items? If you’re day is not clearly outlined, you’ll definitely accomplish less and get side-tracked. Here’s what I like to do:
- Look at my calendar to account for meetings that will eat up my time;
- Write out all the things that I think need to get done. This is where I start to dissect and differentiate my Crucial tasks vs. what can wait;
- Once I have my crucial to-do list, I number each task with what needs to be completed in order of priority;
- Finally, I put an estimated time next to each task and do my best to get the task done during that time.
When you master these 3 minor tips, you’ll find yourself being incredibly efficient and productive throughout your work day.
Photo by Lukas from Pexels